Thursday, January 27, 2011

Looking for Jesus in All the Right Places

I've been wrong all along.

I've been looking for the face of Jesus. You know, the face we know from all the images. That soft expression that stares back at us. I've been looking for that image.

...and I can't find it any where. Not like the one in the images.

I seem to forget how Jesus's image can appear in many ways.

I seem to forget that a whole lot.

Especially when Naya is crying and I have no idea why. Or when Zaes asks me if I want to play a board game with him while I am busy. I forget to look for it in Liani's face when she awakens me in the middle of the night to tell me she had an accident.

Funny thing is that Jesus doesn't appear as a face. Sometimes He's in the pile of laundry that I've been avoiding or the crowded dishwasher that I've passed by all morning. He seems to find His way into everyone and everything.

Why don't I see this?

Instead, I get frustrated, annoyed, lazy, over-emotional. Is that how I want to react to Jesus when He truly appears? When He knocks on my door, am I going to say, "Not right now Jesus, I'm busy," or "What is it that you want!"

I could react better to those simple moments when Jesus is trying to look for me. Instead of being bothered by things that don't seem to hold the essence of Jesus, I should bow down. I should genuflect and be thankful that He has chosen to be here with me in all the ways He chooses to appear. He's allowing me to wipe away Naya's tears, no matter where they come from and He's asking me to stop whatever it is I'm doing to play that board game with Zaes. He's urging me to help Liani through her nightly accidents, so I can boost her confidence and keep away all the scary things that go bump at night. Jesus is looking for the quiet moments while I am folding clean clothes or putting the dishes away to send me messages of love.

Here's a song by JJ Heller that touches me deeply every time I don't feel God present in me. It's very uplifting and she has a beautiful voice. Lyrics below.


Only Love Remains
Scenes of you come rushing through
You are breaking me down
So break me into pieces
That will grow in the ground
I know that I deserve to die
For the murder in my heart
So be gentle with me Jesus
As you tear me apart

Please kill the liar
Kill the thief in me
You know that I am tired of their cruelty
Breathe into my spirit
Breathe into my veins
Until only love remains

You burn away the ropes that bind
And hold me to the earth
The fire only leaves behind whatever is of worth
I begin to see reality
For the first time in my life
I know that I’m a shadow
But I’m dancing in your light

Teach me to be humble
Call me from the grave
Show me how to walk with you upon the waves
Breathe into my spirit
Breathe into my veins
Until only love remains

God bless!

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Sister, There is only one place to discover the Jesus you want to feel, and thats in the pages of Gods Word. When you read the New Testament you find Him...There is a secret however. You read slowly, and you read knowing that what you read is about your beloved.
    St Luke was a physician, because of that he wrote in a consise manner, he presented facts.
    St John on the other hand was Jesus own cousin, so he wrote in awe of knowing the Savour. The first verse of his story says..
    "In the beginning was the WORD (spoken out of God and became flesh in Jesus) and the Word was with God(together, God Jesus and the Holy spirit made the world) and the Word was God.
    If you read a modern day version like the Good News Bible it is easier to follow, But if you pray before reading, read a little and then think on what you have read, God may speak to you. God Bless you. Be encouraged. You are His child and He loves you very much. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Crystal Mary,

    Thank you so much for your comments. You are absolutely right, I can always meet our Lord and Savior in scripture. I read it as much as I can, but reading more of it never hurts, right? I usually like to read the New American Standard so that I can follow along with the daily Mass readings, but I do love the Good News translation since it is less difficult to understand. I use this version when I teach my third graders so they too can comprehend God's Word.

    Thank you for the specific insight regarding St. Luke and St. John. I did not know that. It sheds some light on how their perspectives have influenced their writing on the Gospel.

    Have a blessed day and I hope to continue meeting with you through these comments.

    God bless!
    Ivy M.

    ReplyDelete